Books Added This Week

Tuesday, April 26, 2011
I'm a person with little to no impulse control. I hear something, see something, get intrigued and cannot resist. Usually, with books. Added this week, when I should have been working away at my already-purchased stack-

The Lens and The Looker by Lory S. Kaufman, a post-dystopic time travel tale about three 'hard-cases' from the future in the 24th century. I'm a sucker for anything dystopian, and it was cheap (only $2.99 on my amazing Nook) so I have already bought and read this short, simple story. This was introductory novel in a planned series of three, now I'm waiting for the second (The Bronze and the Brimstone) to come out in ebook form. Review later on.


13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson. It was free for my Nook on http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ (they give away a free, fairly random selection every Friday), and I have heard good things. YA novel about a girl's mysterious invitation to Europe via duh thirteen envelopes.


A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Winner of the Pulitzer in 2011 for Fiction as well as numerous awards for its acclaimed author. It's apparently about the decay and rebirth of lives of people within the music industry. It's garnered a lot of praise and I want to find out if it's warranted.

And last,

Room by Emma Donoghue - a disturbing story based loosely on real-life events in Germany. It's been disparaged and awarded, but the contents about a boy and his mother imprisoned within a twelve-foot room in an unsuspecting household has no doubt caught my attention. It might be sensationalist and trivialize an actual horrific event or it might be a moving piece about the resilience of the human spirit. I'll find out when I finallyget to it.


Those are added to my ever-growing list. I'm going through a reread of George R. R. Martin's superb A Song of Ice and Fire beginning four books  in preparation for the publication of the fifth on July 12. I've already finished A Game of Thrones, so A Clash of Kings is up next for me. Of course, I'll probably get distracted by a shiny book cover in between or during.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.