No Self-Control

Saturday, May 14, 2011

My elementary school (from 2000, yowzers) has an annual bookdrive and booksale. The local kids gather donations, have competitions to see which class/grade can generate the most books for the school. At the end, there's a ridiculous two day sale where paperback books of any kind, any condition are 2 for $1 or even cheaper and hardback books are a flat $2. So my insane tbr pile is now just plain ridiculous. But I just love a bargain and that all the money goes to a public school in need makes me feel all warm inside about my serious bookspree. I, of course, went both days. The first day was more of a drive-by of twenty minutes because I rescued a puppy from a local indian reservation. Today, my schedule was less tight and I tortured my poor, non-reader bf for about an hour. 

First day's haul:




So, what we have here is:


Georgette Heyer - A Blunt Instrument (this is the fourth in a series, certainly not the best place to start but I'll either accumulate the first three before I read this or just dive in with impatience...)

Candace Bushnell - Sex and the City

Neal Stephenson - Anathem

Cinda Williams Chima - The Warrior Heir 

Cornelia Funke - Inkheart
 
Neil Gaiman - Stardust 

Robin McKinley - Spindle's End

Paulo Coelho - The Valkyries

Margaret George - Mary, Called Magdalene 

Mandy Hubbard - Prada and Prejudice

So, total of twelve the first day for me (I bought four other books, but those went straight to my dad).

Haul #2:





Now, we've got these as well:

Marion Zimmer Bradley -The Mists of Avalon

Margaret Atwood - The Blind Assassin; and Alias Grace as well 

Diana Gabaldon - Outlander (she's from my hometown, d'yaknow? well, probably not since I don't advertise that sort of information on the interwebs, BUT! regardless, she is.)

Bernard Cornwell - The Last Kingdom (this was only book I bought by a completely unknown author but it's a historical fiction set in England 866 A.D. about fighting the Vikings.. how could I resist? Clearly, I couldn't. Clearly, I have no will-power.)

Kazuo Ishiguro - The Unconsoled

Umberto Eco - Baudolino

Sharon Key Penman - Cruel as the Grave (second in a series, but with the same options as the Heyer: wait and accumulate or jump in and figure it out without the previous novel[s]. I'll definitelyprobably pick option #2.)


Ally Carter - Heist Society




4 comments:

  1. The Crimson Petal and the White was a favorite read of mine years ago...I remember wanting to dive back into that novel every night when I was reading it :)
    I've read one of Jennifer Cruise's books; can't remember which one (not sure what that says). Your review makes me want to try this one; I too don't like being "scared" when I read.

    Given those great prices at the sale, I think you showed remarkable self-restraint, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard nothing but raves for all of Faber's works. I've wanted to read his work for a long time and I got soo cheap; it made me ecstatic.
    And I wasn't a huge fan of Crusie, despite loving Bet Me, but I think I might be now.

    Also, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inkheart is a great book, though I had a little trouble getting into its sequels and as of yet haven't managed to make it through them. Totally envious of your book sale haul. My fiance wouldn't let me hit the rummage sales this year, though the weather played a part I think he's afraid I'm going to fill the van multiple times like I did last year with books and book cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had my eye on it for a long time, so I was thrilled to find such a cheap and nicely-cared-for version! I keep trying to get to it, but I'm so distractable that I see a cover I love and I'm off!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.