Early August Book Haul

Sunday, August 9, 2015
Bought:


Cleopatra by Stacey Schiff - this is a nonfiction title about one of my favorite historical figures. It's gotten a lot of praise and awards so I am pretty hopeful about it.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton - this one has had buzz for a while now. I loved how the hardcover looked but the price was just ridiculous. I like the paperback and can now see what all the fuss is about.

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater -- I had an ARC of this from BEA 2014 but needed to complete my paperback collection of the series. Now I have and just need hardback Raven King for the Stiefvater Collection to be complete!




Rogue Wave by Jennifer Donnelly (Waterfire Saga #2) - I enjoyed the first book despite its issues and trust one of my favorite authors to keep this series entertaining.

Blythewood by Carol Goodman (Blythewood #1) - so this has some high reviews from trusted friends. Plus I love a creepy, gothic YA novel.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander - I hadn't read this in ages and had lost my personal copy in one of those many moves you have in college.

Quidditch Through the Ages by Kenilworthy Whisp - second verse same as the first. See previous entry.

Sent/Won:



Never Always Sometimes by Adi Alsaid - this is a finished review copy. I never got to Alsaid's debut but this seems to be a good second novel according to early reviews. Thanks, Harlequin Teen!




A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith - so I loved Smith's debut Wild Awake last year. It was realistic and raw and painful and beautiful. I am so happy to have won a copy from Dahlia of her second. Thank you, Dahliaaaaa.





The Sisters of Versailles by Sally Christie - so this is the first in a trilogy about five sisters during the reign of Louis XV - aka Le Bien-Aime. It's based on a true story and is said to have never before been written about in English. It's about power and politics and women mixing with both in gorgeous dresses. So... it's Jessie Catnip, basically.


e-ARCs:


Art in the Blood by Bonnie MacBird - so this is some kind of Sherlock retelling. I'm the black sheep when it comes to mos of these retellings (save RDJ's moves) (yes I tried to watch the one with Bendandsnap Calldispatch and no, I didn't like it) but maybe a book version? Worth a try.

Goddess by Kelly Gardiner -- this sounds fascinating. It's about a bisexual female french French courtier who is also a swordswoman AND opera singer. The best part is she was an actual person -- Julie d' Aubigny aka La Maupin. I mean she was described as  "Beautiful, valiant, generous and supremely unchaste" -- that is perfect.

Menagerie by Rachel Vincent - So this sounds dark and weird and totally intriguing. A woman is kidnapped by a circus because she is really a bird of some sort and then forced into performing? There are some interesting parallels to real life going on here.

It Started with Paris by Cathy Kelly - So I downloaded this from NetGalley and then was sent a review copy in the mail. So that's doubly exciting. I wanted this because...well, Paris. And a proposal that sets ripples in effect. It's a different idea and I'm game.






Enchantress of Paris by Marci Jefferson -- I was also invited to read and review this novel. I am a sucker for anything set in the reign of the Sun King and Jefferson's debut has good reviews. Plus: that cover. 


Fun Stuff:


Say hi to my newest Funkos -- Lagertha from Vikings and Ghost from Game of Thrones. I am trying to not get out of control with these but they are great shelf decorators and they're fun! I have Oberyn, Toothless, Drogon  and now want the HTTYD dragons + Astrid, the trio from Harry Potter, and all GoT animals. And maybe Chandler from Friends?

What are you reading lately? Buying?

Over on instagram, I usually share what I am currently reading. Let me know your handle so I can follow you!



1 comment:

  1. I'm SUPER interested in Art in the Blood but opted against getting the ARC... I've got too many. lol
    And OMG LAGERTHA. YEESSSSS.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.