Captain America Book Tag

Monday, July 11, 2016
The Captain America Book Tag
Thanks to Morgan at Gone with the Words for the fantastic book tag! Morgan and her husband Chris also made that awesome graphic. Thanks, lady!


Steve Rogers/Captain America: a book/series with a big character transformation
Geder Palliako from The Spider's War by Daniel Abraham. Unlike Steve who inspired this question, Geder is very much the antagonist of this series. However, the person he is in the first book, The Dragon's Path,is a very far cry from the final form by series' end.

Peggy Carter: a book with a strong female protagonist
Since I've been flailing about them on twitter a lot lately (I have officially gone to the scary place) -- I am going with Brian Staveley's The Last Mortal Bond. All three of his books feature strong, varied examples of great female protagonists but the last one takes the cake.

Bucky Barnes: a book with your ultimate BROTP
Is there any other answer here besides Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen from the Gentleman Bastard series? Those two would defy the world for each other -- oh wait, they can and already have.  They complement one another and also act as foils; their banter and interactions mean so much to me. One of my favorite quotes is from Locke: "I don't have to beat you. I just have to wait for Jean to get here." #BFFgoals

Howling Commandos: a book with squad goals
Saint's Blood by Sebastien de Castell is centered around a pivotal group of characters that love, exasperate, and help one another. Falcio, Kest, and Brasti may have been the original trio, but like Steve with Sam and Natasha, they add new friends to their squad.

Red Skull: a book with a cliche plot
Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres has a great cover and a great synopsis and it's Aussie YA. Which is why I was really surprised and disappointed at the generic dystopian offering the contents had. Predictable, cliche, uninventive.

Natasha Romanoff: a book with a snarky side character
There are a lot of options for this, but I'm going to go with Hoid from the Cosmere books by Sanderson. His dialogue is full of snark, secrets, allusions, hints. And he's also pretty funny.

Sam Wilson: a book with a friendship meet cute.
I am kind of hard pressed to think of a meetcute for friendship but The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler has to be my answer. Elyse's meeting with Sebastien <3

Winter Soldier: a book with a great twist (plot twist or retelling)
Oh man, Illuminae was one of those books that kept rocking me back on my heels as I read it. One hit after another, those two authors pull exactly ZERO punches. It's a rollercoaster ride and one you cannot predict.

I’m Just A Kid from Brooklyn: a book with a memorable setting/character backstory
The world of Cruel Beauty! Rosamund Hodge gives you enough to see the world but still manages to leave you curious for more!

Do You Two…. Fondue?: a book with a love triangle
It's not my favorite trope, but sometimes a love triangle can be used effectively. The way Emma struggles to reconcile her confused feelings in One True Loves is the best example of this. 

You’ve Been Asleep, Cap: a book you love with a dual timeline/time travel
I could pick any of Kate Morton's novels for this, but I am going to go with the first one I read, the one that made me love her writing so intensely: The Distant Hours.

Til The End Of The Line: a book with the OTP to end all OTPs
I will never not have very intense, very real feelings about Taylor Markham and Jonah Griggs from Jellicoe Road. Their state of togetherness is v important. "Not driving anymore." "You being there changed my life." SO MANY FEELINGSSSSS.

I Had A Date: a book with a cliffhangerGeorge R. R. Martin's  A Dance With Dragons. And that's all I can say about that without descending into keysmashing frustration.  

I Understood That Reference: a book with a pop culture reference
Oh man, the Fug Girls EXCELL at this without being distracting. From their YA books (Spoiled, Messy) to their adult pub The Royal We -- each is full of funny references and clever asides for pop culture fans. 

I’m tagging:
Anyone!

1 comment:

  1. Yessssss you did the tag!!! Yay! I'm so excited!

    I have predictably not read many of your choices haha but I like the reasoning behind them! It's always fun seeing what other people come up with.

    I still need to read Illuminae! And you are so right about Cruel Beauty, that world is crazy intricate. The Distant Hours!!! <3 I think that's the KM I think about the most actually. It haunts me. ADWD, the cruelest of the cruel.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.